Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Symptoms, Causes, Treatments

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is the most common cause of injury and death due to poisoning worldwide. Odorless, colorless, tasteless and undetectable by humans, it can affect anyone. It is a very toxic asphyxiating gas that when inhaled in large quantities replaces oxygen in the blood, causing major damage. The first signs of carbon monoxide poisoning resemble the symptoms of other illnesses, so it’s important to be alert and not to hesitate to seek medical attention. There are simple steps that you can take to avoid the dangers of this poisoning, and we are going to look at them in this article.

What is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide, also called CO, is a deadly toxic gas. It is formed during the incomplete combustion of gas (natural, butane or propane), coal, fuel oil, gasoline and other fuels or wood. It is odorless, colorless, tasteless and non-irritating, and therefore, difficult to detect. Its effects can occur long before its presence is even suspected. Once inhaled, it binds to red blood cells instead of oxygen and prevents O2 from nourishing the body, which can be fatal within an hour. In cases of severe poisoning (chronic or acute), people may suffer lifelong damage. If symptoms are observed in several people in the same room and disappear outside the room, it is highly likely to be carbon monoxide poisoning.

More on LQ Health:
Popular Articles